On the STM32, up to now, it is possible interface two type of TFT color LCD that are:
The max speed of FSMC depend of
the type of STM32xxx that you use, for example:
- TFT color LCD with controller on board via FSMC (Flexible Static Memory
- QVGA TFT color LCD with no controller on board via FSMC (Flexible Static Memory
Controller) plus some I/O pins
Normally the FSMC is available
from 100 pin package.
The STM32 flexible static
memory controller (FSMC) is an embedded external memory controller that
allows the STM32 microcontroller to interface with a wide range of
memories, including SRAM, NOR Flash, NAND Flash and LCD modules.
- STM32F103 @72Mhz max FSMC freq.
- STM32F2xx @168Mhz max FSMC freq.
STM32F4xx @168Mhz max FSMC freq.
The FSMC NOR Flash/SRAM bank is
suitable for MCU parallel color LCD interfaces.
Below there is a table with
the performances of STM32F103 and TFT color LCD with controller on board.
STM32 evaluation boards with TFT color LCD & TouchScreen
From STM there are a lot of STM32xxx
evaluation boards that mounted TFT color LCD and TouchScreen, normaly this boards are named:
For a list of evaluation
boards click here.
Application Note and Examples
- STM32VL-Discovery Video Player - TFT + SD-Card.
- Video resolution: 160*120 pixel and 16 fps
- Audio at 22kHz
- This example is in Italian language and is here.
- AN2784 - Using the
high-density STM32F10xxx FSMC peripheral to drive external memories
- AN2790 - TFT LCD
interfacing with the high-density STM32F10xxx FSMC
- AN3241 - QVGA TFT-LCD
(3.5" - 320 × 240 pixels) direct drive using the STM32F10xx FSMC peripheral
- UM0921 - User manual - STM32-based LCD controller for TFT-LCDs (QVGA resolution TFT-LCD 3.5" - 320 × 240 pixels)
- STEVAL-CCM002V1 - TFT-LCDs panel demonstration board based on the STM32 as LCD controller (QVGA resolution TFT-LCD 3.5" - 320 × 240 pixels)
Tutorial and YouTube video that show the STM32 TFT applications
List of videos are here
Powerful application: Mini STM32F103 Plays QVGA Video with Sound is here and here.
Tutorial: STM32 boards and TFT LCD touchscreens is here